Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sunglasses Case Tutorial

I don't believe I had ever owned a nice pair of sunglasses. Generally I get the $15 Target variety and treat them like crap. They float around in my purse getting scratched by whatever. The last pair I replaced actually had the tint scratched off the lens! So today I decided enough is enough. I've got skills, and 10 minutes. I can fix this problem.



So I cut a strip of fabric with pinking shears wide enough to accommodate my shades and twice as long, plus an extra two inches. I also cut a piece of Warm & Natural quilt batting the same width and length minus the extra two inches. And I cut two pieces of magnets 1 1/2" long.



I layered the batting on the wrong side of the fabric centering so there was an extra 1" of fabric at both ends. Then I lined up the magnet at the one end of the batting in the center of the strip.



Next, fold the fabric over the magnet and sew. Repeat at the other end as well. Be sure that your magnetic sides face each other so they stick.



Then, fold right sides together and sew both sides.


Turn right side out and use the end of a paint brush to push out the corners.

This is what your closure will look like.










Ta Da!!! Sunglasses case, just like that.


And a cutie pie just for fun!!!








1 comment:

  1. You are amazing! I am trying to muster up the courage to actually attempt using my sewing machine; this seems like a great, easy first project to try. Thank you! And love the cutie pie at the end :)

    ReplyDelete