Sunday, March 24, 2013

Singapore Noodles... Yummmm

I've had this dish at a local Asian Fusion restaurant a few times and just loved it so when my hubby said Asian for dinner I had a spark of bravery and decided to give this a try. As dinner time grew near, I got nervous for what I had gotten myself into, but trusted my culinary skills and went for it. We were both glad that I did, it was delicious. Not quite as good at the restaurant but close. And with a few tweaks next time I think it will be even better.

First, I will say that like most Asian dishes, this dish moves FAST!!! My arm was tired by the time I was finished. You have to prep everything in advance, and even with that I forgot two ingredients. Hence, part of the modifications for next time, include everything on the recipe, LOL!!!

The other thing I will change next time is the addition at the end of tossing the pasta with a little oil to add a little moisture. This is a "dry" noodle dish but even still, I would like just a little more moisture.

So here it is... recipe courtesy of the Food Network.




1 pound thin rice noodles, soaked in cold water for 2 hours, and drained
2 skinless chicken breast, 1/4-inch strips
1/4 cup white wine
2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
Canola oil, to cook
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 cup scallions batons, 1-inch lengths
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 pound bean sprout, picked
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 onion, julienned
2 eggs, lightly scrambled
2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
Salt and white pepper to taste



Marinate shrimp and sliced chicken together in soy sauce, wine, cornstarch and white pepper for 20 minutes. In a hot wok coated well with oil, stir fry ginger, scallions and garlic. Add marinated shrimp and chicken to oil and stir fry quickly for 30 seconds to one minute. Remove shrimp and chicken and set aside. Use same oil to stir fry bean sprouts, peppers and onions. Season and cook for 1 minute and set aside. Wipe out wok and coat well with oil. When oil is smoking hot, add 2 beaten eggs and rotate the pan so as to quickly spread the eggs into a pancake shape. While the egg is still partially fluid, add rice noodles to the wok. Stir and fold noodles and the eggs should be broken up into small pieces and dispersed uniformly. Continue to stir to avoid noodles from sticking to the pan. Add curry powder and check for seasoning. When noodles are steaming hot, add back shrimp, chicken and vegetables to the noodles and continue to mix and stir until everything is steaming hot.




1 comment: