Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tutorial - Skirt to Purse

I love to turn old into new. So when I saw this tutorial on Whip Up I knew I had to give it a try. I can always use another bag!

I really liked the use of the pleated skirt but did not have one one hand. Then I found a cute stripped mini that I haven't worn in years, perfect! I also had some old drapery in my fabric stash that I bought about 10 years ago because I liked the textures but never found the right project.























So here's what I started out with.


I maximized all the hems and seams on the drapery. The main fabric hem was used as the top of the lining for the purse.


The hem on the lining of the drapery was used as the top of the inside pockets.


The side seam between the main drapery fabric and the lining was used to cut the straps for the purse.


After everything is cut, start by finishing off the edges of the pockets. Press the sides and bottom to the inside and sew to the lining of the purse.


Then sew the lining together with the right sides facing each other. Remember to leave the top open.



To create a flat bottom to the purse, bring the bottom seam to the side to create a triangle and sew across.


Next, sew the bottom hem of the skirt together and finish off the corners, same as above.


Turn the skirt right side out and layer the lining inside. The wrong sides should be facing each other.


Carefully pin the top of the purse together. I used a lot of pins to ensure the two pieces did not shift around as I sewed.


Next, finish off two long strap and a short one for the button hole.



Pin the straps in between the lining and the skirt and begin to sew.


I sewed around the opening twice for extra strength. I shifted my needle position the second time around for a decorative look and also to get nice and close to the edge.


I will say that if I were to do this project again I would use a stronger needle to finish off the purse. There were some pretty thick parts and I went through 4 needles! Live and learn.


Viola! Skirt to Purse!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment