Monday, May 30, 2011

My Favorite Pancakes & Syrup

Here in the Huber house we love our pancakes. I like to change it up, sometimes just maple syrup & butter, sometimes a fruit sauce or fresh fruit. Sometimes I like to doctor up the syrup and sometimes the pancakes. I'll start by sharing the basic recipe. Then we can get into the fun stuff :)



















My Favorite Pancakes

1 1/2 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 c. milk
3 T. oil

Combine all the dry ingredients with a whisk to ensure they are thoroughly combined.
Lightly beat eggs in a large glass measuring cup, pour in milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the wet mixture into the center. Stir until combined. There should be lumps. If you mix to far the pancakes will be tough.

You can adjust the thickness of the pancake by the amount of milk (less milk = thicker pancakes)


Pour into a non-stick pan set to medium heat. Make sure you give your pan time to warm up before you get cooking. If you rush this the first round will turn out light and dried out.

Wait to flip until the pancakes have a good amount of bubbles.


When you flip the pancakes should have a nice golden brown color.


Keep them warm in the oven set to warm or 200 degrees.

And ENJOY!



Now, the syrup. Thanks to my sister-in-law I've learned a great trick for making inexpensive syrup super tasty.

Cinnamon Vanilla Syrup

1/2 c. syrup (I usually get Log Cabin)
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla

Combine. You can adjust the seasonings to your liking.


Other pancake ideas...

In the fall I like to simmer diced apples with a little apple juice & corn starch to make an apple topping. Simmer in a pan on medium high heat until thickened. I also add some apple pie spice mix to the flour mixture.

If I have some frozen berries I'll use whatever I have to make a fruit topping with a little water and corn starch. Simmer in a pan on medium high heat  until thickened.

What are your pancake ideas? I would love to hear what you do in your house!

2 comments:

  1. To "use up" bananas that are past their prime, add one mashed banana to the batter and add a handful of chopped pecans. Mmmmmm...

    Also, if you have extra pumpkin pie filling in the Autumn, you can add a dollop to the pancake mix for a yummy twist.

    -Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari! I never tried the banana trick. Sounds yummie!!!

    ReplyDelete